[tdwg-tapir] tapir metadata issues

Renato De Giovanni renato at cria.org.br
Thu Jun 28 18:58:33 CEST 2007

Hi Wouter,

Many thanks for raising these issues.
I'll comment each one below...

> -indexing preferences frequency in the documentation states @Frequency
> (starting with uppercase), the schema uses @frequency. I assume I have to
> implement @frequency.

You're right. I've just fixed the specification and I plan to release a
new version during the next weeks.

> -dc:language is mandatory. What to do with data that is not language
> specific? Example: we are going to use Tapir for sharing lists of
> scientific names. Should the language be Latin in that case? We think
> about using specifying English (eng) as default in that case. The
> recommendation is to use IANA Language subtags. Probably better to
> recommend the languages from ethnologue.org (3-letter abbreviations). This
> because the data can be in much more languages then the IANA Languages,
> for instance common names in extinct languages. This is different from the
> xml:lang attribute, which is primarily for application development.

I agree with you, and I think it should not be a problem for the existing
applications if we make these changes:

- Make dc:language an optional element.
- Change the cardinality of dc:language to "unbounded".
- Change the recommendation about the content of dc:language by including
ethnologue codes as another option (probably the main option). Note that
it will still be just a recommendation, not a normative statement.

I'll wait to see if there's some feedback about this before making the
changes.

> -the example for an accesspoint is http://example.net/tapir.cgi  I think
> this may be misleading, it would perhaps be better to use
> http://example.net/tapir.cgi/yourdatasource as example.

This one I think it's OK to keep it as it is. A TAPIR accesspoint is just
an URL, so it's really up to the provider to decide which pattern to use.

Thanks again,
--
Renato