[tdwg-tapir] tapir metadata issues

Wouter Addink wouter at eti.uva.nl
Fri Jun 29 10:44:47 CEST 2007

Renato,
thanks for your comments.

> - Make dc:language an optional element.
> - Change the cardinality of dc:language to "unbounded".
> - Change the recommendation about the content of dc:language by including
> ethnologue codes as another option (probably the main option). Note that
> it will still be just a recommendation, not a normative statement.

Ok. Perhaps we should add an optional attribute also, for specifying the
used code standard, if any? That should not affect current implementations I
think. Problem is that you cannot do anything with an abbreviation if you do
not know what it means. Making assumptions can be dangerous. For instance
you could asume that "SW" means Swedish, or that it means Swahili. If you
know that it is an IANA subtag, you can use it and you can also raise an
error if there is an abbreviation which is not present in the used standard.

Another comment about the Tapir metadata: when giving courses in installing
Tapirlink, I noticed that none of the about 10 (Dutch) students could figure
out themselves what 'relatedEntity' means. They all needed help on that.
Perhaps the documentation of that element should be expanded?

Cheers,
Wouter