[tdwg-guid] Embedding LSID links within Publications

Robert Huber rhuber at wdc-mare.org
Mon Dec 3 10:51:52 CET 2007

Dear all,

The usage of LSIDs and especially citing would be much easier if the usage
of metadata would have been more precisely defined.
Now, the recommendations allow the TDWGOntology as well as other 'well known
vocabularies' = chaos.

We should at least decide on a small set of _obligatory_ metadata elements,
for example some dublin core fields?
For new taxon names the citation of LSIDs would be much easier, because this
metadata could then be placed somewhere in the references section such as
Pyle, R, 2007: TaxonXY, ...some other metadata..., TheLSID

best regards, Robert

2007/12/3, Richard Pyle <deepreef at bishopmuseum.org>:

> Let's distinguish between the two separate places where there may be LSIDs
> in the document:
>
> 1) Underneath the header for each of the five new species described in the
> article.
>
> 2) Embedded within clicakble links scattered through the introduction,
> discussion, etc. (what I call "prose"), which are not themselves
> registered
> nomenclatural acts; but are simply "links of convenince" to allow someone
> reading the PDF to simply click on a highlighted word or symbol and be
> redirected (presumably through a web browser) to some sort of online
> resource (image, video, SDD document, whatever...)
>
> As for #1, I believe that the LSID should be displayed to the human reader
> in full, and probably should *also* be a clickable link directly to the
> ZooBank record for that LSID. Displaying the full LSID here is
> appropriate,
> because the publication itself represents the Code-governed creation event
> behind that LSID. It also does not interrupt the "flow", because there is
> no
> "flow" to the header of a new species account.
>
> As for #2, there is "flow" here, because people are reading a normal
> paragraph or text. Offsetting a clickable word in blue or underlined or
> with
> some sort of Mouseover highlighting does not interrupt the flow -- but
> inserting an LSID in parentheses within the text does interrupt the flow
> of
> reading.
>
> So....in this context, my current preferred way of displaying it in the
> formatted PDF is:
>
> 1) Show the LSID for the 5 new species names, as part of header for the
> new
> species treatment (just like listing a holotype, etc.) The only question
> here is whether I show only the UUID, or do I show the UUID "wrapped"
> within
> the LSID syntax.  In order to help promote LSIDs (in keeping with the
> TDWG/GBIF agenda at the moment), I'm leaning towards displaying the
> complete
> LSID; but perhaps mentioning in the methods that the ZooBank Registration
> ID
> is the UUID, but they are shown formatted with complete LSID resolving
> syntax.
>
> 2) Do not show the LSID for other clickable links within the "prose" of
> the
> document, but embed those LSIDs in the (hidden) link URL. I'm still not
> sure
> whether the word/name itself will be the clickable "thing", or whether
> I'll
> add some sort of standard symbol analagous to a footnote number that the
> user would click.
>
> 3) Display full URLs in an "Appendix" sort of section, at the end of the
> rest of the article, so they can be seen via the paper-printed version.

> [...]

Dr. Robert Huber,

WDC-MARE / PANGAEA - www.pangaea.de
Stratigraphy.net - www.stratigraphy.net
MARUM - Institute for Marine Environmental Sciences (location)
University Bremen
Leobener Strasse
POP 330 440
28359 Bremen
Phone ++49 421 218-65593, Fax ++49 421 218-65505
e-mail rhuber at wdc-mare.org