[tdwg-guid] URN, URI and http

Markus Döring m.doering at bgbm.org
Mon Apr 16 17:29:58 CEST 2007

Dear all,
I don't really intend to fire up a new discussion about GUIDs, but I
came across some pretty good documents about URIs I thought I share
with you. They adress pretty much all of our needs for persistent and
resolvable identifiers in these texts.

(1) http://www.dfki.uni-kl.de/dfkidok/publications/TM/07/01/tm-07-01.pdf
"Cool URIs for the Semantic Web" by Leo Sauermann DFKI GmbH, Richard
Cyganiak Freie Universität Berlin (D2R author), Max Völkel FZI Karlsruhe
The authors of this document come from the semantic web community and
discuss what kind of URIs should be used for RDF resources.

(2) http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/URNsAndRegistries-50
This one here is written by the W3C and addresses the questions "When
should URNs or URIs with novel URI schemes be used to name
information resources for the Web?" The answers given are "Rarely if
ever" and "Probably not". Common arguments in favor of such novel
naming schemas are examined, and their properties compared with those
of the existing http: URI scheme.

best wishes,
Markus Döring