[tdwg-guid] URN, URI and http

Pete DeVries pete.devries at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 19:14:05 CEST 2007

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if it would not be simpler to have the following uri structure.

http://www.speciesid.org/species/45ae56895967  <- the concept of the
species (uri)

http://www.speciesid.org/species/45ae56895967.xml <- species concept info as xml

http://www.speciesid.org/species/45ae56895967.rdf  <- species concept
info as rdf

It is even possible to have a .html if you want a human readable page. The
fact that a web server by default adds an .html to a request does not mean
that the concept uri and the html species page are the same thing.

This would be easy to setup either as static pages, or by using a
database driven
site. The 303 redirection and  the hash technique both seem to be more complex
than they need to be.

The structure above is also very ameanable to REST style webservices.

- Pete