[tdwg-tag] Potential rigorous frameworks for TAG

Bob Morris ram at cs.umb.edu
Sun Sep 3 20:30:19 CEST 2006

Preparing the syllabus for my graduate software engineering course, I
stumbled on
http://www.eclipse.org/modeling/
which leads eventually to the recently adopted OMG Ontology Definition
Metamodel (ODM)
http://www.omg.org/docs/ad/06-05-01.pdf

In Model Directed Architecture, a Metamodel constrains how you can model
your problems. Metamodels are always implicitly or explicitly behind any
modeling tools. Explicit is better, because then the tools can analyze
your conformance to the model. The eclipse modeling framework (EMF)
supports this, so that tools like the IBM Rational Software Modeling
and Rational Software Architect eclipse packages can implement it.
Probably so do other modeling tools.

In the detailed TOC of the above PDF, one will find every single topic
around which the TAG discussions have swirled, and more.

I'm sure that everyone on this list shares my excitement in finding that
there is potentially a rigorous framework for the tag ontology efforts
and will drop everything else to absorb this 338 page specification
before coming to St. Louis, at which the program should be revised to
comprise nothing else but its discussion for the entire week. Hah, hah,
just serious.

--Bob

--
Robert A. Morris