[tdwg-tag] Potential rigorous frameworks for TAG

Roger Hyam roger at tdwg.org
Mon Sep 4 11:20:31 CEST 2006

Hi Bob,

Thanks for this. It looks great!

I guess we are building a Transcendent, Semi-Formal ontology with
read-only model dynamics and volatile instance dynamics. It could
certainly help with the language we use to discuss how we do things -
metametamodel stuff?

One telling quote. Right from the beginning (page 21):

"The ODM specification offers a number of benefits to potential users,
including:

    * Options in the level of expressivity, complexity, and form
      available for designing and implementing conceptual models,
      ranging from *familiar UML and ER methodologies* to formal
      ontologies represented in description logics or first order logic."

Although the document is very good at looking at ontology development
from different view points it does assume familiarity with UML and ER
methodologies. It makes the basic assumption that one is approaching
ontology construction from an software engineering background - hence
everything tends to be related back to UML. Most TDWG members are not
approaching ontology development from a software engineering background
so we need to be careful when confronting them with this. It could be
argued that this document is largely a "How to do ontologies in UML"
document. If you do not have UML ingrained in your culture then it may
not be so useful.

Still a great document with loads of interesting stuff in it though.
Good find!

All the best,

Roger

--