[tdwg-tag] resolving deleted records

Sally Hinchcliffe S.Hinchcliffe at kew.org
Mon Oct 2 16:12:40 CEST 2006

Apologies for cross-posting but I'm trying to get a reasonably quick
response  ...

I'm trying to finalise the IPNI LSID server as far as I can. One of
the issues that was raised at the GUIDs workshop was how to handle
deleted records. In IPNI we suppress records where they have been
duplicated. There are a high number of duplicates in IPNI and as we
start identifying true duplicates and linking them, the number of
suppressed or deprecated records will rise and the chances of someone
having an id which resolves to a now suppressed record will become
quite high

What I'd like to do if someone asks for a suppressed record is to
return metadata which just indicates the record is suppressed (or
deleted) plus if relevant a pointer to the preferred record

For the latter we can use <dc:isReplacedBy> which I think is what IF
are using

For the former - I couldn't find any really obvious existing tag in
use out there. What are other people using? Or do you have any
suggestions or examples of deleted records?

Sally
*** Sally Hinchcliffe
*** Computer section, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew
*** tel: +44 (0)20 8332 5708
*** S.Hinchcliffe at rbgkew.org.uk