[Tdwg-guid] Demise of Phyloinformatics journal

Robert Huber rhuber at wdc-mare.org
Wed Nov 29 10:26:13 CET 2006

Dear all,

The Phyloinformatics journal shows how easy social contracts can fail and
formerly trusted archives just
disappear...
There are some initiatives which aim to provide standards for the
preservation and archiving of digital contents.
For example the OAIS reference model
(http://public.ccsds.org/publications/archive/650x0b1.pdf) which aims
to become ISO. Or here in germany the the DINI initiative
(http://www.dini.de/) and the NESTOR project
(http://www.langzeitarchivierung.de/index.php?newlang=eng).
Both german initiatives aim to provide certificates for long term archives,
I guess similar to the quality standard
ISO 9001 .

It would be very interesting to me if you knew similar initiatives from your
countries?

Today, it is impossible to estimate how good the ability of a content
provider (including taxonomic databases)
for real long term archiving really is . Certificates could help a lot I
think, especially if they would require a
'fall back strategy' of the candidate archive. Such a strategy could simple
be to nominate a partner archive
which would store the content on their servers in case of emergency (and
resolve the LSIDs in our case).

best regards, Robert