identifiers for geologic samples

Roderic Page r.page at BIO.GLA.AC.UK
Mon Jan 30 18:50:23 CET 2006

Dear Chuck,

Nobody that I'm aware of is suggesting replacing the DNS (least of all
me). Any solution that gets implement anytime soon will of course use
the Internet. Handles use the Internet in their current implementation,
indeed anytime you look up a DOI, or follow a link in a journal that's
marked "CrossRef", you use handles.

It's just that:

(a) I'm a little wary of including Internet addresses in GUIDs, more
because the implied link to a site may disappear if the site
dies/moves/changes name. Yes there are mechanisms to deal with this,
but having an Internet address has the potential to mislead. Imagine if
records served by MOBOT start to get served by, say, the New York
Botanical Garden. What will users think of resolving an LSID with
mobot.org in the name and getting a different server. A generation
brought up with phishing scams (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing),
and taught to check a URL is really what it says it is might get
nervous.

(b) I'm not seriously arguing the DNS or the Internet are going away
anytime soon, however I think it is interesting that this is a concern
voiced by the people who are probably closest to us in mindset -
digital librarians. They care deeply about curation, have rare, old,
culturally valuable artefacts, and want systems that persist beyond
current fashions and/or technologies. Sound familiar? If so, let's ask
why have they gone for things like handles?

Regards

Rod

Professor Roderic D. M. Page
Editor, Systematic Biology