LSID Software Gap Analysis
Ricardo Scachetti Pereira
ricardo at TDWG.ORG
Tue Apr 4 15:49:09 CEST 2006
I wanted to invite you to help with the discussion and outcomes of
one of the task groups formed during GUID-1 workshop, the
The goal of this group is to perform a gap analysis of LSID
software. That is, we want to evaluate what the current situation in
terms of available LSID software is, what would be an ideal situation
and how to get from former to the later.
In more simple terms, we are interested in performing the following
* To describe and evaluate existing LSID software;
* To identify missing components, or components that need to be
rewritten or refactored; and
* To devise a plan to implement, rewrite or refactor these components;
We then plan on execute that plan above, probably after GUID2Workshop.
I believe now is a good time to start this process because many
other GUID task groups have gained invaluable experience in implemented
LSID resolvers or are in the process of setting one up. We would like to
tap into that experience to identify limitations on the current LSID
software packages and identify new components that need to be developed.
If you have set up an LSID resolver or have experience with the
matter, we would like to know from you:
* Besides the existing LSID software, what components did you have
to develop to make your LSID resolver work?
* What tasks were more time consuming in setting up your LSID resolver?
* Have you identified any new components that would have helped you
to set up your LSID resolver? Please describe it.
* Have you found any components that were hard or ackward to use?
What modifications would you propose?
* Have you found any problems or bugs in the existing components?
Please report them.
Please, respond either directly to me, to the list, or add your
comments to the respective wiki page
Also, as part of the gap analysis, I started an inventory of LSID
Feel free to make chances and additions.
Thanks a lot,
More information about the tdwg-tag