AW: Topic 3: GUIDs for Taxon Names and Taxon Concepts

Roger Hyam roger at TDWG.ORG
Mon Nov 7 10:28:35 CET 2005

Yde,

Could you say which articles in the code (http://www.iczn.org/iczn/)
support the usage examples you are giving here.

My understanding of this is that it is a matter of presentation within
publications and not a matter of different use of the nomenclatural
codes. The authors are simply assuming that the specific epithets are
well enough known (in combination with the author string) for them not
to have to quote the genus part of the binomial. It seems to me to be
merely a presentation convention like abbreviating the genus name to a
single letter.

If it is significantly different way of treating names (and therefore
relevant to the GUID debate) why isn't in the code? Perhaps we should
approach the ICZN 2000 editorial committee for their comments? But this
would definitely be outside the scope of GUIDs and should perhaps be
moved to a different list.

Quoting article numbers nearly always clarifies these debates.

Hope this helps,

Roger

--

 Roger Hyam