[tdwg-tapir] OGC standards and TAPIR

"Döring, Markus" m.doering at BGBM.org
Mon Nov 28 16:49:48 CET 2005

and then there is no scan operation - which we liked for indexing for example.

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: tdwg-tapir-bounces at lists.tdwg.org [mailto:tdwg-tapir-bounces at lists.tdwg.org] Im Auftrag von Javier privat
Gesendet: Montag, 28. November 2005 16:39
An: tdwg-tapir at lists.tdwg.org
Betreff: [tdwg-tapir] OGC standards and TAPIR

Dear all,

I am still sending emails with these guys working with OGC standards and some times I have difficulties to explain why we are not using WFS for sharing our data. I check at the report from Renato and Markus and did not find explicit reasons, but I will try to put mines and please let me know if you find other reasons why do you think WFS is not the way to go... For sure I do not mean WFS as it is right now, but extending WFS to meet our needs.

-OGC is a big consortium and it would be difficult to get our needs inserted in the standards. So if no one is going to worry about how we extend why should we worry about  following them.

-With WFS we would have to adapt our schemas to GML application schemas (that is substitution groups and we have to extend AbstractFeautureType). We would not like to have to change our standards described in XML schemas.

-Standards like SDD can not make use of GML, mainly because WFS is a service for retrieving features of one single thing and not the relations between them.

Do you agree with that or you want to add more reasons?

Thanks.

Javier.