[tdwg-tapir] TaxonAPI

Donald Hobern dhobern at gbif.org
Tue Nov 29 14:26:07 CET 2005

Inventory requests can allow us to escape from the problem Roger describes
on the Wiki of being unable to discover all data from a nomenclatural
provider (and the need to enforce a single root element for concepts).
Indexing IPNI for example would be very difficult without an inventory
request of some kind.

There are clearly various ways of doing this.  One could be to include a
message in the API getNamesByRank() (and perhaps another
getIncludedRanks()).  Something like this might be less stress on a large
resource than getNamesInventory().

Donald

Donald Hobern (dhobern at gbif.org)
Programme Officer for Data Access and Database Interoperability
Global Biodiversity Information Facility Secretariat
Universitetsparken 15, DK-2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Tel: +45-35321483   Mobile: +45-28751483   Fax: +45-35321480