[Tdwg-tag] GML application schema for TDWG

Javier de la Torre jatorre at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 16:04:18 CET 2005

Dear all,

First of all Merry Christmas! Have a nice holidays Flip.

Ok. I think I am starting to understand you better, I am a little bit
ashamed that I did not attend the Geospatial session last TDWG on
Saturday, I feel I am a little bit behind on the discussion, would be
great to get the minutes from this discussion.

Here are some thoughts divided in two different discussions we are
holding here (sorry if I repeat what you say but I want to be sure I
understand the discussion):

1) You are having here a very high Architecture discussion on how to
proceed with modeling in the TDWG community. I fully agree with you
in the domain-driven design paradigm that TDWG must take, and your
proposal for a GML-like thing is interesting, although I am still
very new to it so I can not well comment on it. In any case this
discussion must be taken in the TAG mailing list, as Stan suggested,
so I would not like to continue discussing on this here.

2) The second discussion is what I am, right now, more interested in
for my project. How can we share our collection data (ABCD and Darwin
Core concepts) using WFS and therefore GML. This is interesting for
me because I would like to create services on top of this.
In this case what I would like to have is a GML application schema,
that I can use with WFS (and again we can not be totally blind of the
status of the art of Open Software for it, for example Geoserver does
not support GML 3) that contains a good geospatial definition of the
location of an specimen (that is the geospatial type you have
created) plus a good definition of the specimen itself as properties
of this featuretype (that would be ABCD or DWC if you want to be
simpler).
So, apart on how TDWG continues with its modeling process, I think we
can already start working with OGC standards with our schemas.
And I do not mean including GML inside ABCD or DWC, but to create a
GML application schema that make use of ABCD or DWC to define the
properties of a FeatureType, that is a collection record. Sumarizing
this is what we need:

1) a good geospatial set of concepts that describe the localization
of a collection record and how this has been obtained, etc. (your
geospatial extension)
2) a set of concepts to describe this CollectionRecordType,
properties of this FeatureType, and for this we created ABCD and
Darwin Core.
3) a GML application schema that defines a CollectionRecordType from
the GML AbstractType and that use the two previous "schemas" to
define the geometry of the type and the properties of it.

So the 3th one is what I called the ABCD-Geospatial-GML-Binding or
DWC-Geospatial-GML-Binding depending on what do you use to describe
the CollectionRecord.

So if I consider what is missing for me right now is only the 1st
point. How to properly described the geometry-georeferenciation of a
CollectionRecord. The GML application schema to glue the pieces for
WFS is something, right now unfortunately, that is going to be
application specific.

So what I would like to concentrate the discussion is on the
geospatial extension, if we should use serveral geometries, how we
document georeferenciation, accuracy, etc. This is something a lot of
people is asking for, I mean, this is fundamental to consider the
creation of a database or to start a georeferenciation project, and I
know because in my department they are going to start georeferencing
a lot of specimen data and I don´t know what to propose them to store
and how in the database.

At the end I think I am agreeing with you on that the geospatial
extension should be totally independent, am I?

Thanks for the patience, I know I am repeating a lot of things, but I
still do not understand totally what is the purpose of this
geospatial group and I am also very new to GML and OGC.

Best regards,

Javier.