[Tdwg-phylo] Publishing a trees in RDF

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at nescent.org
Sun Oct 24 20:43:43 CEST 2010

On Oct 22, 2010, at 1:06 PM, Arlin Stoltzfus wrote:

> Hilmar, are you referring to various quick-and-dirty BioPerl
> modules, for instance, as cases in which software that ended up
> being reusable started out as part of a reusable software package?

Yes.

>  Are there other kinds of contexts where this would work?  How could
> we get different developers working on the same architecture,
> building a shared foundation but creating different solutions from it?

I think I gave some examples in my other email. The key is that
contributing be openly welcome, have very little barriers that aren't
directly related to the code itself, and have an advantage for the
developer. The advantage, for example, to adding on to BioPerl is that
as a developer there's an awful lot of code I can easily reuse for all
the mundane stuff, my code will be seen by and be useful to a lot more
people, and I can be part of a community that I can learn from or
exchange ideas with.

	-hilmar