[Tdwg-phylo] Publishing a trees in RDF

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at nescent.org
Fri Oct 22 18:38:37 CEST 2010

On Oct 22, 2010, at 12:22 PM, William Piel wrote:

> We need to be okay with seeing a rich plethora of quick-and-dirty
> efforts, each focusing on articulating/investigating sets of novel
> ideas -- despite some obvious redundancy in some of the more general
> functions.  And then periodically, someone's got to assemble the
> best of these ideas into a robust, jack-of-all-trades, off-the-shelf
> software package.

That sounds nice indeed, but frankly I've never seen it happen. The
quick-and-dirty efforts that I have seen become standard parts of
reusable and sustainable software have almost all started from their
early beginnings as parts of reusable software. For a while rather
experimental and unstable parts, obviously, but the future course was
charted not as an afterthought.

Truth of the matter is that we're all scientists. No scientist is
interested in, or gets promotion, scientific recognition, or
publications from assembling entirely incompatible, mostly redundant
except for a few features, quick-and-dirty pieces of software into
some grand jack-of-all-trades software package.

My $0.02, from about 13 years of software engineering.

	-hilmar