[tdwg-humboldt] Events

John Wieczorek tuco at berkeley.edu
Tue Aug 10 23:22:53 UTC 2021

In case it might be helpful, high-level metaphysical semantic models often
distinguish between the real world and our capacity to observe it. Theory
generally espouses that reality is a continuum of interacting changes of
all kinds (continuous processes), while our observations (which are what
end up as data) necessarily subsample reality from particular perspectives
into discrete processes.

Among the discrete processes are those in which a target of observation
undergoes untracked change in a bounded period and those in which
the target of observation remains unchanged for some period. The first
category, discrete periods of change (with respect to a specific target)
are called "events" while the periods without change (with respect to a
specific target) are called "states". In both cases periods can vary in
size, frame of reference, and our capacity to delimit them with precision.
Based on this perspectives, "event" is not confounded by whether it is
"instantaneous" or not. I think the important thing will be to have a
formal definition, and in that respect, it is probably best to refer to an
ontology for the concept you mean when you say "event".

Some references, in case you want to get really metaphysical:
Stanford Philosophy of Events - https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/events/
Overview of Common Core Ontologies -
https://www.nist.gov/system/files/documents/2019/05/30/nist-ai-rfi-cubrc_inc_004.pdf
Classifying Processes and Basic Formal Ontology -
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/320024419_Classifying_Processes_and_Basic_Formal_Ontology
Processes and Causality - http://www.jfsowa.com/ontology/causal.htm
GSC Observations and Measurements -
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/262936936_ISO_191562011_-_Geographic_information_--_Observations_and_measurements