[tdwg-content] Darwin Core Proposal - term content recommendations to comments

Steve Baskauf steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu
Thu Feb 5 17:31:10 CET 2015

Using a property from a well-known vocabulary like SKOS would be good.
But there is the problem that Bob mentioned.  Also, I'm not clear about
the entailments that would result from skos:note and skos:example being
declared as annotation properties. [1]

I think that the intention of the RDF guide was that as new properties
were added to DwC, they would be birthed simultaneously in both the
IRI-object and literal-object versions without necessitating a change to
the guide itself.  Whether that is allowed technically, I don't know.
When we add terms to the normative DwC document, they show up in the
non-normative documents of the standard (e.g. the quick reference guide)
without additional action.  If that's not a problem, then adding them to
the list in the RDF guide also should be able to happen routinely.

This is a good topic for the vocabulary maintenance task group
(currently in the process of formation).

Steve

[1] http://www.w3.org/2009/08/skos-reference/skos.rdf

Bob Morris wrote:
> I like the idea in principle.  Would it be subject to the conventions
> of the RDF Guide? That is, would it be explicitly declared as taking a
> literal object and be accompanied by an IRI version
> dwcattributes:exampleIRI? Would this require adding to the scope of
> the Guide? (Is the scope of the Guide sufficient for the current
> enterprise in general?)
>
> The proposals to use skos:example are appealing on several grounds.
> But  skos:note and its subproperties (including skos:example) can take
> literals or references [1].  To me, that weighs   more than the
> baggage of minting two new terms.
>
> Bob
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference/#notes
>

> On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 9:32 AM, Markus Döring <m.doering at mac.com> wrote:
>
>> I like that idea, John!
>>
>> On 05 Feb 2015, at 15:30, John Wieczorek <tuco at berkeley.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> We have been musing about how to make it easy to mark up examples in
>> human-readable renditions, and how best to enable that in the RDF as source.
>> I think, Ramona, that the separate example usage annotations solve multiple
>> real problems that we have right now and align us well with how we would
>> like to manage Darwin Core in BCO. Thus, though it may not be necessary for
>> Darwin Core at this time, I think it will actually help us.
>>
>> Thus, I would like to formally amend the original proposal. Specifically, I
>> would add a new attribute dwcattributes:example. I would add an instance of
>> this attribute for every example in every Darwin Core term. All examples
>> would be removed from the definitions and comments. The recommendations on
>> controlled vocabularies would still be moved consistently to the comments as
>> in the original proposal.
>>
>> Given this proposed amendment, I'll change the end-date for commentary on
>> this proposal to 5 Mar 2015.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> John
>>

>> On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 12:12 AM, Ramona Walls <rlwalls2008 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> This is a good idea. In theory the recommendation could go into a separate
>>> annotation (e.g., we use "example of usage" in BCO), but I don't think that
>>> is necessary for DwC at this juncture.
>>>
>>> Ramona

>>> Ramona L. Walls, Ph.D.
>>> Scientific Analyst, The iPlant Collaborative, University of Arizona
>>> Research Associate, Bio5 Institute, University of Arizona
>>> Laboratory Research Associate, New York Botanical Garden

PMB 351634

If you fax, please phone or email so that I will know to look for it.
http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu
http://vanderbilt.edu/trees