[tdwg-content] Darwin Core Proposal - term content recommendations to comments

Bob Morris morris.bob at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 17:17:58 CET 2015

I like the idea in principle.  Would it be subject to the conventions
of the RDF Guide? That is, would it be explicitly declared as taking a
literal object and be accompanied by an IRI version
dwcattributes:exampleIRI? Would this require adding to the scope of
the Guide? (Is the scope of the Guide sufficient for the current
enterprise in general?)

The proposals to use skos:example are appealing on several grounds.
But  skos:note and its subproperties (including skos:example) can take
literals or references [1].  To me, that weighs   more than the
baggage of minting two new terms.

Bob

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference/#notes

On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 9:32 AM, Markus Döring <m.doering at mac.com> wrote:
> [...]
> I think, Ramona, that the separate example usage annotations solve multiple
> real problems that we have right now and align us well with how we would
> like to manage Darwin Core in BCO. Thus, though it may not be necessary for
> Darwin Core at this time, I think it will actually help us.
>
> Thus, I would like to formally amend the original proposal. Specifically, I
> would add a new attribute dwcattributes:example. I would add an instance of
> this attribute for every example in every Darwin Core term. All examples
> would be removed from the definitions and comments. The recommendations on
> controlled vocabularies would still be moved consistently to the comments as
> in the original proposal.
>
> Given this proposed amendment, I'll change the end-date for commentary on
> this proposal to 5 Mar 2015.
>
> Cheers,
>
> John
>

> On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 12:12 AM, Ramona Walls <rlwalls2008 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> This is a good idea. In theory the recommendation could go into a separate
>> annotation (e.g., we use "example of usage" in BCO), but I don't think that
>> is necessary for DwC at this juncture.
>>
>> Ramona

>> Ramona L. Walls, Ph.D.
>> Scientific Analyst, The iPlant Collaborative, University of Arizona
>> Research Associate, Bio5 Institute, University of Arizona
>> Laboratory Research Associate, New York Botanical Garden
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 4:00 AM, <tdwg-content-request at lists.tdwg.org>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
>>> than "Re: Contents of tdwg-content digest..."

>>> <CAHwKGGc7sK3Dg8KTN_NYe4S+OYk=YE+-dRxjKPS-dNnGhAvjMw at mail.gmail.com>
>>>

>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> During the process of reviewing the recent set of changes to the Darwin
>>> Core standard in early November 2014, it was proposed to make the
>>> definitions and comments for terms more consistent in their treatment of
>>> content recommendations. The specific proposal is logged in the Darwin
>>> Core
>>> issue tracker as https://github.com/tdwg/dwc/issues/26.
>>>
>>> The gist of the proposal is that recommendations on how to populate a
>>> term
>>> are often in the definition whereas we would like them to be consistently
>>> in the comments section. The list of affected terms is given below for
>>> reference.
>>>
>>> This message is to elicit responses from any who might have a reason to
>>> recommend against these changes, which are not semantic in nature. We
>>> will
>>> leave this proposal open for commentary until 19 February 2015 unless
>>> further discussion arises resulting in amendments.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> John
>>>

>>> The following terms have recommendations in the definitions, which we

>>> occurrenceID
>>> sex
>>> lifeStage
>>> reproductiveCondition
>>> behavior
>>> establishmentMeans
>>> occurrenceStatus
>>> organismID
>>> organismScope
>>> materialSampleID
>>> eventID
>>> eventDate
>>> eventTime
>>> locationID
>>> higherGeographyID
>>> continent
>>> waterBody
>>> islandGroup
>>> island
>>> country
>>> countryCode
>>> municipality
>>> locality
>>> minimumDistanceAboveSurfaceInMeters
>>> maximumDistanceAboveSurfaceInMeters
>>> locationAccordingTo
>>> decimalLatitude
>>> decimalLongitude
>>> geodeticDatum
>>> coordinateUncertaintyInMeters
>>> pointRadiusSpatialFit
>>> verbatimCoordinates
>>> verbatimLatitude
>>> verbatimLongitude
>>> verbatimCoordinateSystem
>>> verbatimSRS
>>> footprintWKT
>>> footprintSRS
>>> footprintSpatialFit
>>> georeferencedDate
>>> georeferenceVerificationStatus
>>> geologicalContextID
>>> identificationID
>>> dateIdentified
>>> identificationVerificationStatus
>>> taxonID
>>> scientificName
>>> subgenus
>>> taxonRank
>>> nomenclaturalCode
>>> taxonomicStatus
>>> measurementID
>>> measurementType
>>> measurementUnit
>>> measurementDeterminedDate
>>> relationshipOfResource
>>> relationshipEstablishedDate
>>>
>>> while the following terms already have the recommendations in the
>>> comments:
>>>
>>> institutionID
>>> collectionID
>>> basisOfRecord