[tdwg-content] synonyms in DwC Archives

Bailly, Nicolas (WorldFish) N.Bailly at cgiar.org
Wed Mar 19 07:56:57 CET 2014

Dear Hilmar,

I completely concur with Rod. An additional remark is that Biodiversity Informatics has unfortunately twisted the meaning of the word ‘synonym’ as it is used in the different codes where it designates primarily a relationship between taxa and only secondarily by extension a relationship between names (because we designate taxa by using names). Formally, two different combinations of the same basionym are not synonyms: they are different combinations.

The flat DarwinCore cannot handle (easily) the 3 necessary Ids that have to be managed:

-          TaxonId

-          BasionymId

-          NameAsStringId

Technically, the NameAsStringId could be used alone, but only if there is a second field that precises if it is a Basionym or not, and a third that indicates if it is the current accepted name: in the latter case, then the NameAsStringId can be used as the TaxonId. So in any case, a triplet has to be managed, otherwise, if you give an id alone, you cannot know what it is beyond a simple NameAsString.

But to be honest I prefer for clarity to have 3 different codes. It is what we have in FishBase, a SpecCode as TaxonId, a SynCode as NameAsStringId, and we use the Catalog of Fishes (CofF) CAS_SPC as the BasionymId – so we do exactly what Rod suggests, we use the acknowledged nomenclator. Strictly speaking and referring to my remark  above, CofF has ids for all basionyms, whatever they are linked to valid taxa or synonym taxa. What CofF does not have is an id for the new combinations and misspellings.

Where FishBase is not completely consistent is that we use a SynCode also for the misidentifications and the misapplied names, while these relationships should be managed in another table than the table of NameAsStrings. Also like Markus described, the current accepted NameAsString is repeated both in our Taxon and our NameAsString tables. These were compromises to simplify the structure of the database.

BW
Nicolas.