[tdwg-content] synonyms in DwC Archives

Markus Döring m.doering at mac.com
Tue Mar 18 23:35:02 CET 2014

Hi Hilmar,

GBIF, Catalog of life and others have produced guidelines for how to express taxonomies with synonyms and these are in widespread use already since over a year. I will forward links tomorrow when Im back at my desk.

The common idea is to include synonyms together with accepted taxa in the core file. This allows one to also add extension data to synonyms, for example bibliographic references, types data, etc. The term acceptedNameUsageID is used to link to the accepted record in the core file (targeting taxonID), originalNameUsageiD for the basionym and taxonomicStatus to declare a specific type of synonym such as homo/heterotypic or later/junior synonym. The scientificName is used both for accepted and synonym records.

You should be able to find many dwca examples in the gbif dataset search when filtered for checklists: http://www.gbif.org/dataset/search?type=CHECKLIST

For example try these:
http://data.canadensys.net/ipt/archive.do?r=vascan
http://ipt.speciesfile.org:8080/archive.do?r=orthoptera