[tdwg-content] synonyms in DwC Archives

Tony.Rees at csiro.au Tony.Rees at csiro.au
Tue Mar 18 23:32:26 CET 2014

Hi Hilmar, all,

This is how I currently handle synonyms in my IRMNG DwCA export file (rightly or wrongly):

TaxonID: 1268813
ScientificName: Herpetophytum (F.R.R. Schlechter) F.G. Brieger, 1981
TaxonomicStatus: synonym
AcceptedNameUsageID: 1243758

where 1243758 is the TaxonID of Dendrobium O. Swartz, 1799, the currently accepted name for this taxon.

For the latter, the AcceptedNameUsageID will be the same as the TaxonID indicating that this is currently an accepted name (also will have TaxonomicStatus = accepted).

Is this not sufficient for the requirement to handle synonyms?

Regards - Tony

Dr Tony Rees
Manager | Divisional Data Centre
Marine and Atmospheric Research
CSIRO
E Tony Rees at csiro.au T +61 3 6232 5318
CSIRO Marine and Atmospheric Research, GPO Box 1538, Hobart, TAS 7001, Australia
www.cmar.csiro.au/datacentre
Manager, OBIS Australia regional Node, http://www.obis.au
LinkedIn profile: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/tony-rees/18/770/36
PLEASE NOTE