[tdwg-content] LSID Resolution Service using DDDS/DNS

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Mon Jun 18 15:15:44 CEST 2012

Hi Julien,

Firstly, let me say "run, run away now". Unless you need to support resolving existing LSIDs (e.g., Index Fungorum, IPNI) then I can see no reason to use LSIDs. The future landscape of identifiers is essentially URLs and DOIs. The difference between the two boils down to whether you want your identifiers to have a degree of management or not (you can add management to URLs but the DOI infrastructure for this seems more established).

My understanding has been that querying the DNS for the SRV record is enough. This is what my LSID tester http://darwin.zoology.gla.ac.uk/~rpage/lsid/tester/ does. Reading the LSID spec I get the sense that, had it been more widely adopted, there was a mechanism to resolve LSID authorities  centrally at a server "lsidauthority.org" (option [a]). If this mechanism didn't exist, we would do a regular DNS lookup of the domain in the LSID we were trying to resolve (option [b]). Option (a) was never implemented, so it's option (b).

That said,

Regards

Rod

On 18 Jun 2012, at 13:04, Julien Cigar wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm reading the LSID spec and there are some things that are some things that are a little cloudy to me.
>
> The spec says that the client should query the DNS for NAPTR records for the domain name "lsid.urn.arpa", but it seems that the URN NID part "lsid" has not been established at IANA (lsid.urn.arpa is unresolvable) ? Why ?
> I wondered if it's enough to query the DNS of the "authority identification" part of the LSID (domain name) for a _lsid._tcp SRV record and assume that this entry is a valid resolution service for the given LSID ? If not, what's the proper way to find a resolution service for, let's say, "urn:lsid:blah.my.domain:foo:12345" ?
>
> Thank you
>
> Best regards,
> Julien
>
> --
> No trees were killed in the creation of this message.
> However, many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
>
> <jcigar.vcf>_______________________________________________

Roderic Page
Professor of Taxonomy
Graham Kerr Building