[tdwg-content] LSID Resolution Service using DDDS/DNS

Julien Cigar jcigar at ulb.ac.be
Mon Jun 18 14:04:58 CEST 2012

Hello,

I'm reading the LSID spec and there are some things that are some things
that are a little cloudy to me.

The spec says that the client should query the DNS for NAPTR records for
the domain name "lsid.urn.arpa", but it seems that the URN NID part
"lsid" has not been established at IANA (lsid.urn.arpa is unresolvable)
? Why ?
I wondered if it's enough to query the DNS of the "authority
identification" part of the LSID (domain name) for a _lsid._tcp SRV
record and assume that this entry is a valid resolution service for the
given LSID ? If not, what's the proper way to find a resolution service
for, let's say, "urn:lsid:blah.my.domain:foo:12345" ?

Thank you

Best regards,
Julien