[tdwg-content] Expressing some relationships in DwC?

Tony.Rees at csiro.au Tony.Rees at csiro.au
Tue Oct 25 16:30:16 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I have a few nomenclatural relationships between name that I would like to express using DwC, and would like to know the preferred way to do this if any. The relationships are as follows:

(1) Point a nomen novum to the basionym it replaces. From reading there was formerly a concept basionym/basionymID, apparently this is now replaced with originalNameUsage/originalNameUsageID. So one quesiton is, is this sufficient to infer this is a basionym, when accompanied by noneclaturalStatus = 'nomen novum'?

(2) Point an orthographic variant to the name which it is a variant of (whether or not the latter is now the accepted name). In other words, if name A is a variant of name B which is now a synonym of name C, I capture the A=>C relationship with a synonym assertion, but I want a way to capteure the A=>B relationship too.

(3) Point a nomen nudum to a validly published instance that comes later (or do the same in reverse, i.e. this name was preceded by xxx as a nomen nudum). Again, this should be independent of whether the validly published name is an accepted name or now a synonym of something else.

Advice appreciated,

Regards - Tony Rees