[tdwg-content] Fwd: [Fwd: Re: If you need something for referring to a population, then it is probably best to do it as a related class]

Peter DeVries pete.devries at gmail.com
Thu May 5 03:07:11 CEST 2011

Hi Rich,

Some of this depends on if the bulk of data associated with C. flavicauda
are under than name or recorded as C. fisheri.

You can always merge two concepts using owl:sameAs, so if someone considered
them one species they could download them and run a sameAs.

The problem with keeping them separate is that you might have data sets that
are really about C. flavicauda, but were recorded as C. fisheri.

There was a similar example involving birds that David Remsen mentioned but
I looked around and all the major records were with the entities as separate
species, so I kept them separate.

In the case of subspecies, and in the absence of a more elegant solution, I
would record them as instances of a species concept *in the form of Genus
epithet subspecific epithet.*
*
*
That way you capture the full intent, without causing additional problem.

The example I use is this. Two Cougar cubs are born on a mountain.

One of the cubs is seen on the North side of the mountain and recorded by
scientist A as *Puma concolor couguar*, the other is seen on the South side
of the mountain and recorded by scientist B as* Puma concolor.*

**Since every instance of a true subspecies is also an instance of the
species it is safe to say that both are occurrences of the species concept
for the Cougar.

However when treated as separate strings, as they are in many systems, these
are later interpreted as instances of two different things. e.g. two ITIS
numbers.

Also, I thought I might restate what I mean by the individual is one kind of
thing.

Think of it this way.

An all omniscient being that could see all that individuals DNA, lineage and
extent of reproductive isolation could in most cases be able to determine
what kind of thing it is and what other individuals are also  instances of
that kind.
She would also be able to recognize what individuals are not instances of
that kind of thing.

We as humans can only hypothesize what the things are and also make
assertions about what individuals are instances of that thing.

So Nico and I are not really that far apart I just think that for some types
of queries and questions it would be best to consider the observation of a
specimen, or individual to be one of type of thing at a time.

That does not mean that you can't model it in a way that states we are
treating this as this type of thing, but others believe it is a different
kind of thing.

I also don't seem to understand why if someone can find some missing utility
in existing vocabularies, and mints one starting with txn, it is seen by
some as an act of heresy, while the minting a new vocabulary starting with
dsw is not.

Heretical enough to be written out of the sacred scrolls?

Respectfully,

- Pete

Email: pdevries at wisc.edu