[tdwg-content] New terms need resolution: "Individual"

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Mon Jul 11 16:40:58 CEST 2011

> In also conservative on "normalising" dwc too much and replace all id
terms
> used as foreign keys with the relations class. Of course we can model
things
> that way (though im sure we'll start seeing more qualifiers on that class
> then), but dwc is largely successful because of its rather flat and simple
> nature, so we should be careful to preserve at least the important and
often
> used id terms.

But DwC is already normalized this way.  There is no LocalityID term in the
Event Class. There is no EventID in the Occurrence class.  In fact, the only
"foreign key" term I know of in DwC (internet too slow here for me to
consult it online) is "IndividualID", and this doesn't even serve the
function even a "Foreign Key" because there is not yet any "indivudal" class
to provide "PK" of the corresponding linked instance.

So...I've been asking various people how one is supposed to represent the
fact that "This Event instance took place at this Locality instance", or
"This Identification instance refers to this Taxon instance", or "This
Occurrence instance involves this Event instance and this Identified Taxon
instance".  So far, I don't know the answer to this.  For the BiSciCol
project, these relationships between instances of DwC classes are the core
item being indexed, so we are assuming that the purpose of
ResourceRelationship is, in fact, to establish these relationships between
instances of DwC classes.

I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Rich