[tdwg-content] New term resolution: dcterms:source

Gregor Hagedorn g.m.hagedorn at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 21:23:03 CEST 2011

I think the original scope of occurrenceDetails is contained in dcterms

http://purl.org/dc/terms/isReferencedBy

or more general perhaps

http://purl.org/dc/terms/relation

??

Gregor

On 7 July 2011 18:27, John Wieczorek <tuco at berkeley.edu> wrote:
> @Gregor - I didn't intend to remove dcterms:source from consideration, I
> just intended to keep dwc:occurrenceDetails.
> It sounds like there is still support for dcterms:source independent of
> issues surrounding occurrenceDetails.
> I like Markus' suggestion to generalize the term we have to something like
> the following, deprecating occurrenceDetails in favor of:
> Term Name: recordUri
> Identifier:     http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/recordUri
> Namespace:      http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/
> Label:  recordUri
> Definition:     A reference (publication, URI) to detailed information about
> the record.
> Comment:        Example:
> "http://mvzarctos.berkeley.edu/guid/MVZ:Mamm:165861". For discussion
> see http://code.google.com/p/darwincore/wiki/RecordLevelTerms.
> Type of Term:   http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#Property
> Refines:
> Date Issued:    2011-07-07
> Date Modified:  2011-07-07
> Has Domain:
> Has Range:
> Version:        recordUri-2011-07-07
> Replaces:       occurrenceDetails-2009-04-24
> Is Replaced By:
> Class:  all
> ABCD 2.06:      DataSets/DataSet/Units/Unit/RecordURI
> On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 9:08 AM, Markus Döring <m.doering at mac.com> wrote:
>>
>> the original intent of the dc:source issue was "A URI link or reference to
>> the source of this record. A link to a webpage or RESTful webservice is
>> recommended. URI is mandatory format. Allows to link to richer source data."
>> When writing this I had taxonomic dwc records in mind and I needed a way
>> to capture a link to a webpage or service that potentially contains richer
>> data. So originally the intent was exactly the same as occurrenceDetails -
>> just not limited to occurrences.
>>
>> how about a generic dwc:details(Uri) instead?
>>
>> Markus
>>

>> On Jul 6, 2011, at 19:47, John Wieczorek wrote:
>>
>> > I see and agree with what you are saying. I retract the proposal to
>> > remove occurrenceDetails.
>> >
>> > On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 10:42 AM, Paul J. Morris <mole at morris.net> wrote:
>> > I'd concur with John except for that pesky little word in the
>> > definition of dcterms:source, "derived"
>> >
>> > "A related resource from which the described resource is derived."
>> >
>> > The history of recordURL, relatedInformation, and occurrenceDetails all
>> > have exactly the opposite meaning in my mind.  All three of those were
>> > places to find additional information that was derived from some set of
>> > primary objects (specimen, field notes, map, etc).  A publication that
>> > synthesises the most detailed information about an occurrence is derived
>> > from these primary sources of information.  Carrying such a publication as a
>> > dcterms:source seems exactly backwards.
>> >
>> > I wouldn't mind using dcterms:source to indicate that a specimen label
> [...]

Dr. G. Hagedorn
+49-(0)30-8304 2220 (work)
+49-(0)30-831 5785 (private)
http://www.linkedin.com/in/gregorhagedorn

This communication (including all attachments) is sent on a personal
basis. It is intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed.
Redistributing or publishing it without permission is a violation of
privacy rights and copyright.