[tdwg-content] GUIDs for publications (usages and names)

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Wed Jan 5 17:43:15 CET 2011

I second Rod's "V. cool!" proclamation!  I think this has the potential to
solve a lot of problems with DOIs (particularly for the old literature).  It
doesn't solve all the problems (e.g., we still need to define the
article-level units within BHL content, and we'll still need to establish a
system of GUIDs that can be applied to sub-article units, such as
treatments), but in the vast majority of cases, the DOIs will be the ticket
into the services of CrossRef.

I desperately want to comment on several points made in this thread (which
I've only read just now), but I'm currently travelling, so I'll chime in
later.

Aloha,

Rich

P.S. Question for Rod/Chris/anyone else concerning DOIs:  Does the annual
fee only apply to the ability to mint DOIs within a given year, or does it
also apply to resolving them?  Put another way, if BHL stops paying its
annual fee sometime in the future, will the already-minted DOI's be
resolvable into perpetuity, or will they stop being resolved at that point?