[tdwg-content] Treatise on Occurrence, tokens, and basisOfRecord [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Thu Oct 28 21:30:13 CEST 2010

> Yeah, some act took place at that place and time. In the
> context of Occurrence, probably an act of sampling or
> collecting, and so one should expect metadata documenting
> that act (who, how, etc)

As I alluded to in my previous post, it's not clear to me whether the who,
how, etc. are intrinsic properties of the Event, or if the "Event" simply
represents the single coordinate in 4-D space-time; and the other stuff is
more a function of the Occurrence (i.e., more metadata about documenting the
tuple of Event+Individual).  I can see rational arguments either way.  My
inclination is that the word "Event" goes beyond merely the space-time
coordinate, and implies some sort of "action".  As such, my inclination is
to define the "Event" as more than just the 4D space-time coordinate, and
include who, how, etc. as part of the "action" of the Event.

As is probably obvious, I haven't throught this through extensively yet, so
I reserve the right to change my mind.

Rich