[tdwg-content] Data Licenses; Was: Re: Occurrence Records, with Individuals and Identifications

Vision, Todd J tjv at bio.unc.edu
Sun Oct 24 21:12:55 CEST 2010

I'm not a lawyer, but "http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain" looks fine to me.  CCZero is CC's recommended instrument for waiving copyright to databases.  It is intended to apply to those jurisdictions where data/databases can be copyrighted and copyright can be waived.  Those terms of reuse are as clear and nonrestrictive as one could hope for given the present environment for data IP.  But since CCZero is not, strictly speaking, a "license", I agree with Bob that this is a slightly misleading tag.  Asserting CCZero (ie a public domain dedication) is implicity asserting "no license".

Todd Vision

Associate Director for Informatics
US National Evolutionary Synthesis Center