[tdwg-content] Data Licenses; Was: Re: Occurrence Records, with Individuals and Identifications

Bob Morris morris.bob at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 18:35:32 CEST 2010

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 12:47 AM, Peter DeVries <pete.devries at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have redone my occurrence records to match the single example I had posted
> before. (Go to the last example, if you just want something pretty)
> Here is the
> RDF: http://ocs.taxonconcept.org/ocs/f522444a-2dd9-400e-be59-47213ef38cb9.rdf
>[...]

> - Pete

Without regard to the structure of your RDF but rather to your license
attribute on txn:Occurrence, you might care that
    (a) the CC Public Domain Mark license is intended to apply to work
that was once copyrighted but now isn't.
    (b)For lots of reasons, CC now recommends against the use of CC
licenses for data ( [1], [2] ).
    (c)Without regard to whether data is copyrightable, CC licenses
only apply to copyrightable material; in all countries subscribing to
the  Copyright Convention, only creative works are copyrightable;  I'm
pretty sure you don't intend that an Occurrence is a creative work (or
even that its expression is--at least an expression in a standard
form).

[1] http://sciencecommons.org/projects/publishing/open-access-data-protocol/
[2] http://sciencecommons.org/resources/faq/database-protocol/

Bob Morris