[tdwg-content] What RDF is (Was Re: Idea for Discussion, Differentiating between "type's" of identifiers)

Peter DeVries pete.devries at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 17:13:31 CEST 2010

Some people might find the N3 serialization useful.

It simply lists the subject, predicate and object followed by a period.

It is somewhat easier to interpret, and can be easy to make. You can even
create this with apps like FileMaker Pro.

You can then take this N3 form and convert it to RDF using online tools or
standard libraries.

Many if not most of the triple / quad stores can read in the n3 form
directly.

Here is an example that links a species concept to a geographical location.
(in both directions)

<http://sws.geonames.org/6255149/>  <
http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ontology/txn.owl#hasExpectationOf>  <
http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ses/iLCOZ#Species> .

<http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ses/iLCOZ#Species>  <
http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ontology/txn.owl#isExpectedIn> <
http://sws.geonames.org/6255149/> .

- Pete

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 9:51 AM, Bob Morris <morris.bob at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 8:53 AM, Peter DeVries <pete.devries at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >[...]
> > I think part of the problem we are having is that people are not
> recognizing
> > how different RDF is from straight XML.
>
> It's way worse than that.  RDF is not XML at all.  RDF/XML is merely a
> serialization of RDF  It's not even the most human readable
> serialization. In fact it is one of the \worst/ for humans who need to
> figure out what triples are actually in play.   It is so ubiquitous
> only because there are more tools that can process RDF/XML than any of
> the other RDF serialization syntaxes (syntices???).  The persistent
> myth that human readability is an advantage of XML pretty much ignores
> all the use cases that humans have for reading something. It's about
> as readable as Lisp. Indeed, a Lisp loving colleague said of XML on
> the occasion of its first W3 recommendation : "I get it.  It's Lisp
> with pointy brackets."
>
> Bob
>
> --
> Robert A. Morris