[tdwg-content] DwC-A taxonomic normaliser/standardiser - get paid to write requirements

Wolfgang Lorenz faunaplan at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 26 11:22:26 CET 2010

Dear David & all,

as a sidenote from me as a data-user who would like to assist in avoiding
errors in interpretation of taxonomic names, - not sure if it helps in
planning your future strategies:
I'm just wondering, why not explore a few gentle steps towards ... whoknows
... something like elements of a future "BioCode" (being aware of the
incompatible parts of current domain-specific IC*N Codes, - but making use
of uniting principles).

The usefulness of automated name parsing is limited, - not enough or even
misleading in too many cases, e.g. with binomina combined with different
homonymous genera, e.g. the following:

Tylonotus bimaculatus
Tylonotus rugicollis
Tylonotus fryi

The first genus is Tylonotus HALDEMAN 1847 (Coleoptera Cerambycidae),
second: Tylonotus FIEBER 1858 (Heteroptera Miridae), third: Tylonotus SCHAUM
1863 (Coleoptera Carabidae).
Now imagine if we had an 'expanded parsing' strategy (with the assistance of
taxon experts!) resulting in unique namestrings that contain all basic
information on the nomenclatural status of names.
In the above example, unique ID-strings for the nomenclatural content might
look like this:

ZS-Tylonotus_bimaculatus
ZS-Lygaeus_rugicollis/2Tylonotus_rugicollis/=Plesiocoris_rugicollis
ZS-3Tylonotus_fryi/=Nototylus_fryi

(prefix 'ZS-' for zoological species-group names; the second string shows we
have to do with a new generic combination, etc.)
Such strings can be perfectly stable, unique, human and machine-readable.
They could serve as a solid basis for interpretation of actual name usages
[= the GNUB task?] ... in my imagination.

Best regards,
Wolfgang

Wolfgang Lorenz, Tutzing, Germany