[tdwg-content] Does a species entail a specific classification or does it have many classifications.

Peter DeVries pete.devries at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 16:28:06 CET 2010

Hi Markus,

I expect them to copy and paste the URI in, or import the list as a field in
their database.

Current Name   Mapped to Concept
Puma concolor   se:v6n7p <http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ses/v6n7p.html>

That way in the future if the name changes without a change in the concept.
Eupuma concolor se:v6n7p <http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ses/v6n7p.html>

The data says linked.

Eventually se:v6n7p <http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ses/v6n7p.html> will be
linked to the name variants in the GNI (it is to some extent already)

We have not done this yet except for the TDWG meeting example (
http://lod.taxonconcept.org/tdwg_nomina.rdf) but eventually these will have
something like

se:v6n7p <http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ses/v6n7p.html>
hasAcceptedScientificNameURI
<
http://gni.globalnames.org/name_strings/772d5162-f5aa-596c-98e0-a1c6c5a29bb9

se:v6n7p <http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ses/v6n7p.html> hasSynonymNameURI <
http://gni.globalnames.org/name_strings/35da7f30-25ff-5111-ab29-1a4f9988ef51

se:v6n7p <http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ses/v6n7p.html> hhasBasionymNameURI <
http://gni.globalnames.org/name_strings/35da7f30-25ff-5111-ab29-1a4f9988ef51

etc.

And the following relations can be made from these to Rich's "Name Uses"

<se:v6n7p <http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ses/v6n7p.html>> hasRelatedGNUB <GNUB
ID>  - basically ties the concept to a particular name use without stating
the nature of the relationship.

With something like this to show the nature of the relationships (the
literal below would be replaced with resolvable GNUB ID's)

<se:v6n7p <http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ses/v6n7p.html>> equivalentGNUB
 <"Puma concolor (Linnaeus 1771) sec. Brown" >
<se:v6n7p <http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ses/v6n7p.html>> narrowerGNUB
 <"Puma concolor (Linnaeus 1771)" >

* Probably one of Rich Pyle's fish might make a better example.

In a sense you are not only linking your occurrence record to a particular
concept you are also linking it to other data in a number of other related
data sets.

Since each data set, in fact each triple, can be assigned to it's own graph
you can choose to ignore triples or datasets that you don't think are
appropriate.

I have limited set of related data on my endpoint for this species with the
various data sets assigned to different graphs.

For example the species Puma concolor
http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ses/v6n7p.html

Browsable Endpoint View
http://lsd.taxonconcept.org/describe/?url=http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ses/v6n7p%23Species
  bit.ly http://bit.ly/gMFqR1
Similar to what is in the Sig.ma example
http://sig.ma/search?pid=f986676a3b575b165e1498fd25927eaf

The SPARQL endpoints are described here:
http://www.taxonconcept.org/sparql-endpoint/

THis is in contrast to all the info in the LOD about Puma concolor via
Sig.ma

http://sig.ma/search?pid=a8365fad23aa42aff4c8f3078f30028c

I guess one of the differences is that you are giving the data suppliers a
choice as to what if any species concept they think is most appropriate for
their data vs. having an algorithm assign one for them. A side effect is
that their data would then be linked to other data and more easily findable
by potential users.

Respectfully,

- Pete

I guess my point is that higher classifications also vary so you need to
have some smarts behind the disambiguation.

The also allows groups to link there data even between potentially
contentious names like Aedes triseriatus ?= Ochlerotatus triseriatus

TaxonConcept Knowledge Base <http://www.taxonconcept.org/> / GeoSpecies
Knowledge Base <http://lod.geospecies.org/>
About the GeoSpecies Knowledge Base <http://about.geospecies.org/>