[tdwg-content] Use of TCS [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Bob Morris morris.bob at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 04:01:21 CET 2010

How nice it would have been if http://www.tdwg.org/schemas/tcs/1.01
had all its data types, especially the ComplexTypes, at the top level,
and in a separate file, and the rest would use mainly those types to
define a preferred TCS data set structure.  Then there would have been
\the/ TCS vocabulary, and \a/ TCS exchange structure and you could
reuse and extend the Types. That's what we did in SDD, though it leads
to the need for lots of key, keyref use to put contextual restrictions
on the particular exchange structure. People find it hard to
understand, and complain that you have introduced needless
complexity.(But Computer Science grad students admire it. :-)  ).
I've fallen out of love with XML-Schema except for the huge set of
high quality tools around, and the useful JAXB databinding framework
now fully embedded in Java. And its pretty good for specifying
software configuration.

Bob Morris

Robert A. Morris
Emeritus Professor  of Computer Science