[tdwg-content] [tdwg-tag] Inclusion of authorship in DwCscientificName: good or bad?

Peter DeVries pete.devries at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 04:46:33 CET 2010

My vote would be to clarify the use of scientific name to not include
authorship as Rich suggests.

Perhaps a partial solution would be for the GNI or GBIF to provide some web
service that end users could use to clean and parse their names into their
dwc:scientificname and authorship parts. (They probably have something close
to this already)

For ease of use the system could output something like this

Puma concolor <tab>  (Linnaeus 1771)

In the process they could flag potentially incorrect uses of parenthesis
etc.

Puma concolor <tab>  Linnaeus 1771 <tab> Note Potentially incorrect
authorship - parenthesis missing

or

Felis concolor <tab>  Linnaeus 1771 <tab> Note Do you mean "Puma concolor
 (Linnaeus 1771)"

A beneficial side effect would be that everyone has a more normalized and
accurate species list.

Respectfully,

- Pete

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 6:40 PM, <Tony.Rees at csiro.au> wrote:

> Rich,
>
> No need to apologise... Actually it affects the aggregators in two
> respects, one is the larger vs. more compact data representation, the other
> is the present inconsistency about what is actually expected/supplied in
> practice by real world data providers in the present "scientificName"
> element. If it was clearer that this was for sciname + author, and the
> sciname without author had its own dedicated element, the incoming data
> would (might) be potentially a lot more consistent.
>
> Basically it is the present "scientificNameAuthor" element which is
> clouding the issue - people see this and then think they do not need to add
> the author in to "scientificName" as well, although as previously stated by
> Markus this is technically incorrect according to the DwC spec (and I can
> see the argument for keeping it that way, so as to capture as much info as
> possible in that field).
>
> Cheers - Tony

Pete DeVries
Department of Entomology