[tdwg-content] Background for the Individual class proposal. 3. Should an Individual also be a Collecting Unit?

Kevin Richards RichardsK at landcareresearch.co.nz
Sun Nov 14 23:22:45 CET 2010

I have several comments / questions on all this:

The "Individual" debate seems to me like we are discussing very similar things, just trying to clarify the subtleties of the class/term.  Tell me if I am wrong but it seems like Steve's idea for the Individual more closely resembles a many-to-many joining table in a database (ie doesn't serve much use other than connecting two tables/classes together - and doesn't normally relate to a "real world" type of object).  Whereas it seems Rich's idea is to relate it more to "real-world" objects, such as samples, re-samples, etc, to allow tracking and connectability of the observed/collected/processed individuals.  I think in a "model" we need to try to define the real world object types and relationships, then we apply that model to an instantiation of that model which will tend to contain more structure, such as joining table type classes.

Another comment is on how RDF works (RDF domains in particular, and the benefit of defining the domain, or having no domain).  It thought we removed the rdf domain restrictions off the DwC classes to allow more flexible use of the DwC terms.  So this is obviously an important requirement.  So my question really is, would it be possible to do both?  I.e. is it possible to have terms that can be defined as having a certain domain, then equivalent terms that are not part of the domain - I know this would complicate things immensely, but I do wonder if other communities using RDF have encountered similar problems and have found a way to do this??  We could perhaps have SimpleDwC that defines a bunch of terms that have no domain, that have "rdf links" to terms defined in a FullDwC that defines all classes and the properties of each class - this seems flexible to me and I thought this was one of the benefits of RDF - i.e. the links/mappings etc???  Another way to look at this could be to develop DwC as a UML model - no RDF defined, then have several implementations of the DwC model for specific use cases (this would make Roger happy  :-)) - but I'm not sure how this will work with respect to the full advantages of using RDF - eg reasoning - i.e. we probably need to define the full model in RDF to make full use of RDF features.

Another comment is on the placing of your useful posts, Steve.  Do you think you could do some of these as blogs that could be commented on.  We can then link to blogs from google repositories, wikis, etc.  Otherwise they may disappear into the mailing list archives (I know I have said this before, but it still bugs me).  It seems to me you have a lot more time to spend on this stuff right now than a lot of us - being a predominantly voluntary community, the effort that can be put into discussions and activities by the community members is very sporadic.  I personally would like more time to spend on this stuff, but have other tasks that are more demanding.  Also, due to the sporadic nature of the effort in the TDWG community, I think a lot of people are getting left behind - especially with the large amount of content that is submitted to the mailing list - but I DO NOT want to curb your enthusiasm at all!  Just thinking there might be a better place to store them??  Thanks for your efforts on these topics Steve, it is certainly valuable.

Kevin