[tdwg-content] Relation of GNA to TDWG vocabularies

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Fri Nov 12 22:57:25 CET 2010

Hi Bob,

The link you provided re-directs to  http://code.google.com/hosting/.  A
better link is: http://code.google.com/p/tdwg-ontology/.

As both Convenor for the TDWG Taxon Names and Concepts (TNC) Group
(http://www.tdwg.org/activities/tnc/), and as one of the "architects" of the
fledgling Global Names Architecture (GNA), I guess in theory I am in at
least some position to address your question.  Unfortunately, I have not
been involved with, nor am I especially familiar with, the current status of
the TDWG-Ontology efforts.  The Google Code website seems a bit anemic, but
a number of the people listed are regular contributors to this list, so I
hope they will provide some additional insights.

I am working on deailed draft documentation for the data model behind the
Global Names Usage Bank (GNUB), which is intended to serve as a "Hub" of
sorts to bridge together the many and varied and largely disconnected
datasets dealing with information associated with taxon names.  I hope to
get that draft up for public review sometime before the end of this year,
and begin implementing it as the data back-end for the next-generation
ZooBank website (also in the works). Perhaps this will have some value to
the relevant TDWG-Ontology development.

For now, I guess I'll just say that I'm very interested in the responses
that (I hope) will come in from people more familiar with the TDWG-Ontology
than I am.

Aloha,
Rich

Richard L. Pyle, PhD
Database Coordinator for Natural Sciences
Associate Zoologist in Ichthyology
Dive Safety Officer
Department of Natural Sciences, Bishop Museum
1525 Bernice St., Honolulu, HI 96817
Ph: (808)848-4115, Fax: (808)847-8252
email: deepreef at bishopmuseum.org