[tdwg-content] taxonomy != identification

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Thu Nov 4 10:10:53 CET 2010

Hi Dusty,

> Collections contain things that do not map nicely to a
> single taxon name of any (or no) rank. It's not clear
> to me if this proposal will support those kinds of
> data or not. A few examples:
>
> Uncertainty: http://arctos.database.museum/guid/KWP:Ento:1703

This is an excellent example of something I have to deal with occassionally,
and was going to be part of my never-sent post on dealing with ambiguous
identifications.  In the context of DwC, my feeling is that this taxon
should be represented as "Erebia" in dwc:scientificName, and the two
possible species epithets included in dwc:identificationRemarks.

> Composite specimens: http://arctos.database.museum/guid/UAM:Herb:12718

This one could be represented as "Bupleurum" for the Individual instance
representing the sheet, but then I would be inclined to establish two
"child" individuals (semantically related to the "parent" sheet), one each
identified to the two different taxa.

> Hybrids: http://arctos.database.museum/guid/UAM:Mamm:3517

I think a lot of data models (including GNUB) treat hybrid formulae as
though they are separate "taxa", with the hybrid formula as the name.
Although it doesn't seem to be addressed in the DwC documentation, I would
put "Canis latrans x Canis lupus familiaris" in dwc:scientificName.

Now....this may be one of those semantics-breaking pseudo-conventions that
the RDF'ers will pull their hair out over (along the lines of Bob's post
concerning different kinds of aggregations), in which case we should
probably have an0other thread on this topic.

> Things that aren't taxonomy at all:
http://arctos.database.museum/guid/UAM:ES:3405

Outside the scope of DwC?

Aloha,