[tdwg-content] FOAF [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Paul Murray pmurray at anbg.gov.au
Thu Nov 4 06:21:27 CET 2010

There are a few pages about this.

I am finding that the version available at http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/index.rdf reads into Protege ok, and the HermiT reasoner does not complain about it - that being my usual test. The Owl consistency checker at http://www.mindswap.org/2003/pellet/demo.shtml  highlights a couple of DL issues.

* Some of the social properties (icq, msn chat, etc) are functional inverse datatype properties (if two persons have the same ICQ number, then they are the same person). The problem is that there is no general way to check data literals for equality (the OLW spec, for instance, supports fractions, floats and doubles). But these properties can be blithely ignored in most cases by simple dint of not using them.
* name is declared to be a subtype of rdfs:label, but rdfs:label is an annotation property
* the vocabulary does not import its dependencies, and so some declarations are implied

Annotation properties are a bit of a bugbear. As far as I can tell, if something is an annotation property then it should only be used to describe vocabulary terms. The actual subject matter of an ontology should be described with regular properties. Thus, declaring name to be a subproperty of label is simply wrong: a thing's name is ontology, not vocabulary. The machine-level issue is that RDF can't tell the difference between the two, so OWL/RDF cannot behave according to the OWL specification in certain respects. But dcterms title and description fit the bill admirably, anyway.

You can use the FOAF properties and classes without explicitly importing FOAF - you can just declare them. The OWL-DL incompatibilities are not serious. On the other hand ... you may dislike the fact that there are rules in FOAF at all. Maybe two different people happen to share an organisational ICQ address. FOAF at the moment would force you to create a Organisation or Group object for the team, and assign the ICQ address to that.

And so yes, there are issues. The simple way to deal with it is to create TDWG terms mimicking the FOAF terms, declare them to be sameAs, and if that becomes unworkable then to break the equivalence.

------