[tdwg-content] tdwg-content Digest, Vol 20, Issue 17

Dean Pentcheff pentcheff at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 01:08:49 CET 2010

I'm going to revisit this tomorrow morning, to be able to think carefully
about the prior postings on this. But a quick reply to this posting (which
had the advantage of crossing my desk when I was painfully in need of a
distraction from what I was doing).

I think there may be a useful distinction to be made between these two cases
which match Rich's most recent cases 1 and 2+3):

1. A jar of mixed semi-identified organisms from known-to-be disjunct taxa
(e.g. two molluscan genera, a green alga, and some fish larvae).

2. A jar of one or more organisms collectively identified down to a single
taxon of any rank (e.g. a jar full of ophiuroids only, all of which may or
may not be the same species, but they're all "known" to be ophiuroids).

Without (yet) wrapping my head around this entirely, I think I agree with
Rich that we definitely find it useful to be able to search taxonomically
for higher level taxa as well as searching for species. Without being able
to do so, we are forced to ignore all instances that are not identified to
species, and that's just not a happy solution.

I've made the claim that we sometimes find it interesting to be able to
search taxonomically for (actually, to find) records that describe the
mixed-taxon case #1 above. However, without allowing a one-to-many
relationship between "Individual" and a determination, I don't see how to
accomodate it in a straightforward scheme, and nor do I think it is
necessarily a good idea to do so.

Unless a simple solution presents itself to me, I'm willing to accept the
idea that my case #1 and case #2 cannot be folded into one tidy model.

-Dean
--
Dean Pentcheff
pentcheff at gmail.com