[tdwg-content] tdwg-content Digest, Vol 20, Issue 17

Peter DeVries pete.devries at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 21:42:12 CET 2010

Hi Nico,

Are you wanting to model things that you think are actually species within a
larger clade or are these more like subspecies?

I think this gets at a bit of what these are to be used for.

Are they for modeling classifications or occurrences and other data about
individuals or sets of individuals which represent instances of species?

- Pete

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Nico Cellinese <ncellinese at flmnh.ufl.edu>wrote:

> Steve is using Species as ranks in his definition and I think this is the
> wrong approach.  Let's make all this rank agnostic please!  Use the word
> taxon!  What if I have a group of organisms that represents  a polyphyletic
> species and I want to name a lineage (group of organisms) within this
> traditionally recognized species that I am not recognizing as species per se
> (as in rank of species).  In other words, Identifications and ranks are two
> different things, so let's abandon ranks for a more objective discussion on
> taxa. Individuals are definitively not species.
>
> Nico (the other one)
>

> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 7:24 AM, Steve Baskauf <
> steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu> wrote:
>
> John,
> I'm not sure that I agree with your analysis that the definition prevents
> the possibility of making an Identification at a rank less specific than a
> species.  My revised definition says that the *Individual should only
> include groups of organisms that are reliably known to be of a single
> species* - *it doesn't say that we need to know what that species is (i.e.
> an identification to genus or family can be made with the hope that someone
> down the line would be able to refine the identification to species*).
>  Clarification on this point could be added to the comment or the Google
> Code page, but I don't think there is a problem with the definition per se.
>  However, if there is a consensus that the definition is too restrictive, I
> would not object to changing the wording of the definition from "species (or
> lower taxonomic rank if it exists)" to "taxon" if there were clarification
> added to the comments or Google Code page that Individual was not intended
> to include aggregations of mult
>
> iple species.
>
> I agree that there is a need for a term that represents "collections",
> "bags", "aggregations", or whatever you want to call an aggregation that
> includes multiple species.  But I have never intended that Individual should
> be that term.  If we expand Individual to include aggregates, then it
> becomes unusable for its original intended purpose.  I would prefer for
> someone to propose a different term for aggregates of individuals instead of
> adding that function to Individual.  Then define the relationship of this
> new thing to Individual as a one:many relationship (one aggregation:many
> Individuals).
>
> Steve
>

> John Wieczorek wrote:
> Most of you probably do not receive postings from the Google Code site for
> Darwin Core. Steve B. updated the proposal for the new term Individual, and
> then commentary ensued on the Issue tracker. Since there remains an
> unresolved issue, I'm bringing the discussion back here by adding the
> commentary stream below.  The unresolved issue is Steve's amendment is the
> restriction in the definition to "a single species (or lower taxonomic rank
> [...]

Pete DeVries
Department of Entomology
University of Wisconsin - Madison
445 Russell Laboratories