[tdwg-content] tdwg-content Digest, Vol 20, Issue 17

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Wed Nov 3 21:26:37 CET 2010

Hi Dean,

I agree with you -- but the question is, would you want to require that your
"rough sorts" create Individual instances on a 1:1 basis with taxa at the
rank of species or lower?  I was using the "Animalia" example as an extreme
case.  In the real world, it's more like you describe.  That is, it's
usually realtively easy, and extremely useful, to pre-sort such lots down
tot he level of, say, family, and then generate instances of Individuals
accordingly.  But the implication of the "species" requirement would be that
you'd have to guestimate how many distinct species are represented in the
lot, then generate an Individual instance for each one of them.  This, I
think, would not be so easy in many cases.

I guess in your case you've divided Indentifications into two subclasses:
"real", and....err...."artifical"? "temporary"? "provisiolnal"?

I'm not sure that's a solution that will work for most data
providers/consumers (i.e., defining subclasses of Identifications), so it
may not be ideal to "go there" in DwC.

I guess what I'm still struggling with is why species-level identifications
are somehow fundamentally different from higher-rank identifications
(fundamental enough that the scope of the Individual class is constained by
them).  Especially when it's easy enough to filter out the
higher-than-species-rank Identifications in cases where you want to exlcude
them.

I think what we're circling around is something to the effect of: "An
individual should be circumscibed/scoped in such a way that it can be
Identified to a single Taxon".  I'm just saying there should be no
constraints on the scope of that taxon.

For example, let's take the example of a lot that includes ophiuroids,
gastropods, isopods, algae, and fish larvae.  I think there is consensus
that we would *not* want to establish a single Individual instance that has
multiple and concurrently legitimate Identification instances applied to it.
In other words, we don't want an Individual instance that has one
Identification instance for "ophiuroid", one for "gastropod", one for
"isopod", one for "algae", and one for "fish", all simultaneously and
legitimately applied to the single Individual instance. Stated another way,
we don't want to allow for an Identification instance to apply to only part
of an Individual -- an Identification instance should apply to the *entire*
Individual.

So, in this example, we either would want no Identification instance at all
applied to the aggregated lot, or if we really wanted an Identification, the
best we could do (depending on the kind of algae) would be "Eukarya".  But
if you want to acknowledge that there are five different subsets within that
lot, then you generate five "child" Individual instances, each of which has
a single legitimate Identification instance to its respective higher-rank
taxon.

So, I think what we're really after here is that, when there are multiple
Identification instances linking an instance of Individual to more than one
distinct Taxon, these should always be mutually exclusive -- they should
never be simultaneously legitimate (i.e., they should never apply to
different "parts" of a single Individual instance).

Looking at the big picture....we seem to agree that the maximum scope of an
Event instance in terms of place is "Planet Earth" (for now, anyway); the
maximum scope for time is "any window of time since there has been life on
the planet" (i.e., up to 4 billion years or so).  We have discussed the
ideal of establishing scoping metadata for both place (e.g.,
coordinateUncertaintyInMeters, coordinatePrecision), and Time (not yet
defined in DwC).  I think the same logic should apply to Indetifications.
That is, the scope of Taxon that can be assigned to an Individual via an
Identification should span anything from "forma" (or whatever the most
precise taxon identification there is),  all the way up to Domain (or even
simply "Life").  DwC:taxonRank already serves as a rough guide to defining
the scope of any particular taxon Identification (with apologies to
Nico-the-other-one).

So the point is, I think the general rule for DwC should be "maximum
flexibility for allowing breadth of usage, with sufficient metadata to allow
for filtering to more restrictive usage".

I'm guessing that most of that doesn't make much sense....sorry for that.

Aloha,
Rich

Richard L. Pyle, PhD
Database Coordinator for Natural Sciences
Associate Zoologist in Ichthyology
Dive Safety Officer
Department of Natural Sciences, Bishop Museum
1525 Bernice St., Honolulu, HI 96817
Ph: (808)848-4115, Fax: (808)847-8252
email: deepreef at bishopmuseum.org