[tdwg-content] Request for vote on proposals to add Individual as a Darwin Core class and to add the term individualRemarks as a term within that class

Steve Baskauf steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu
Mon Nov 1 11:48:33 CET 2010

Yes, I agree with statements made by Bob, Kevin, and Rich: if we get the
class Individual, we need to think carefully what properties go with it.
The only one that is obvious to me at the present is individualRemarks.
In line with what Bob said, I think that figuring out how we will use
terms and trying to model relationships and properties in RDF will make
it more clear what terms can be appropriately used with instances of
various classes and whether it "works" to have a term be applied to
several classes.  I think individualCount is a case in point.  At first
it seemed to me that it should be in the Individual class, because it's
a property of Individual the way I've defined Individual.  But since the
count may change with time, then maybe it should be a property of
Occurrence (which are essentially observations of the Individual at
different times).  But how often is anyone actually going to track the
number of individuals over time?  I could see it happening with wolf
packs, but in that case one would probably rather track each individual
wolf rather than calling the whole pack an "individual".  So what makes
sense depends on how people need to use individualCount.

Rich commented that he wasn't sure why catalog number wasn't in the
Record Level terms.  I'm also wondering about that, particularly since I
would use a catalog number with a token (e.g. PreservedSpecimen,
StillImage) or Individual (if it were a living specimen) but probably
not for an Occurrence (although somebody else might).  I believe that in
a previous discussion of the xxxxxxxID terms on tdwg-content (can't
check because Internet is out at my house and I'm working offline)
someone said that all of those terms should go into the Record Level
terms because one might use them as properties for various classes.  But
that hasn't happened.  Is that because nobody has gotten around to it or
because it takes some kind of official action to "change the standard"?
To recap that conversation from memory, it was agreed that people
appropriately use the xxxxxxxID terms two ways: as column headings in a
database table to indicate what the identifier is for the row, and as ID
references connecting the row to records in other tables.  In the first
kind of use, it makes sense to have xyzID in the class xyz, but in the
second case it does not.  You can see an example of these dual uses in
the DwC XML guide.  This is another example where some clear
instructions on the use of terms in the DwC documentation would help
(i.e. to say that both of these kinds of uses are acceptable).  When I
was trying to understand Paul's email on Taxon and Name, I was having
trouble because I was continually confused about which of the two ways
of using xxxxxxID terms he was intending as either would apparently be
correct.

With regards to "individualScope", I was assuming that could be covered
in individualRemarks.  I suppose individualScope could have a controlled
vocabulary and individualRemarks not.  But again, I think we can see how
people want to use Individuals before deciding what terms need to go
with it (assuming that Individual gets added to DwC).

Steve

VU Station B 351634

http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu