[tdwg-content] canonical name for named hybrid& infragenericnames [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Paul van Rijckevorsel dipteryx at freeler.nl
Mon Dec 13 10:21:46 CET 2010

From: "Greg Whitbread" <ghw at anbg.gov.au>
Sent: Monday, December 13, 2010 1:37 AM

[...]
> The important bit for this discussion is that we do need extra elements
> to correctly discover, list and render names. These include (though
> incomplete): a named hybrid indicator;  [...]

***
A single hybrid indicator will not do it; commonly there are three levels
at which hybridity may be registered:
1) genus
2) species
3) infraspecific taxon

As in
     Mentha ×piperita subsp. ×pyramidalis (Rec. H.11 Ex. 3),
in contrast with
    Mentha ×piperita f. hirsuta (Rec. H.12 Ex. 1),

[in addition there is also the subdivision of a genus which may be a hybrid,
but this will hardly ever be included in the name of a lower ranking taxon]

Paul