[tdwg-content] canonical name for named hybrid & infragenericnames [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Greg Whitbread ghw at anbg.gov.au
Mon Dec 13 01:37:51 CET 2010

Tony,

I didn't think I was being serious:(   The presentation was corrected as
soon as Paul pointed it out. The APNI web pages use the '×'
entity. It just looks like a lower case 'x'.

Our herbarium database standardises hybrid indicator to upper case and
translates this to lower case when talking HISPIDx.

The important bit for this discussion is that we do need extra elements
to correctly discover, list and render names. These include (though
incomplete): a named hybrid indicator; the kind of name; and for
autonyms and nominate names, the author of the superordinate name
element.  A place for the rendered name may also be desirable if we
expect clients to use these names correctly.

Most client systems however expect to find names separated into family,
genus, species, rank, infraspecic epithet and authority. They do not
want prefixed, named hybrid indicators but they do need the name
assembled.

greg

greg

On Mon, 2010-12-13 at 09:29, Tony.Rees at csiro.au wrote:
> Hi Greg, Paul,
> I checked versions 3 and 4 of HISPID and the intended hybrid indicator
> “x” is given as lowercase, not uppercase, so your display code may be
> fine, just have to fix the content :-) – actually as stated by Paul
> (Holland) and the ICBN, it needs to be replaced by a multiplication
> symbol for display anyway.
> Re 12 million people can’t be wrong – maybe they can, if the latest
> sales figures for Andre Rieu live in concert DVDs are anything to go
> by. (apologies to any A.R. lovers out there – just kidding of course)
> On a more serious note – presumably those 12 million downloads were
> not machine-machine transactions where hybrid nomenclature was ever
> checked, or the downloaders cared particularly about compliance with
> the Code or other standards, or reconciling content from multiple
> sources – not an attitude we would encourage on this list, surely!

australian centre for plant bIodiversity research<------------------+
national            greg whitBread             voice: +61 2 62509 482
botanic Integrated Botanical Information System  fax: +61 2 62509 599
gardens                      S........ I.T. happens.. ghw at anbg.gov.au

If you have received this transmission in error please notify us immediately by return e-mail and delete all copies. If this e-mail or any attachments have been sent to you in error, that error does not constitute waiver of any confidentiality, privilege or copyright in respect of information in the e-mail or attachments.