[tdwg-content] canonical name for named hybrid & infragenericnames [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

dipteryx at freeler.nl dipteryx at freeler.nl
Fri Dec 10 10:01:14 CET 2010

Van: Paul Murray [mailto:pmurray at anbg.gov.au]
Verzonden: vr 10-12-2010 3:25

> I have just been running through some code in APNI dealing
> with just this issue.

***
The ICBN-way to deal with these are:

* A generic name may be marked as a hybrid. It is rendered
	×Foo
or
        nothogenus Foo

* An infrageneric name may be marked as a hybrid. It is rendered
	$genericName rank ×Foz
or
	$genericName nothorank Foz

* A species name may be marked as a hybrid. It is rendered
	$genericName ×bar
or
        nothospecies $genericName bar

* An infraspecific name may be marked as a hybrid. It is rendered
	$genericName bar rank ×baz
or
 	$genericName bar nothorank baz

The following do not concern hybrid names or names in the sense
of the ICBN at all:
	hybrid_code 'I' --> foo - bar  (intergrade)
	hybrid_code '+' --> foo + bar (graft)
	hybrid_code 'U' --> foo hybrid (unspecified hybrid?)

However, the ICNCP uses
        +Foo
and
        Foo +bar