[tdwg-content] proposed term: dwc:verbatimScientificName

Bob Morris morris.bob at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 15:09:43 CET 2010

> Obviously, it would be nice if algorithms did exist which could convert
> a text string into a scientific name, but this still lies in the future.

For those of us attempting to populate databases with information
extracted from published literature, the future is now. It seems to me
that normalizing the extraction to some standardized form \before/
putting it in the database is more robust than forcing the parsing to
be done afterwards.  So we need  rules for those forms, and an
unambiguous way in our metadata to cite which rules have been
followed.  In a previous post my p.s. also whined about a similar need
for born-digital taxonomic treatments.

Bob

--
Robert A. Morris